110 Years of Tradition Overview
Roedean School had its beginnings in Janie Street, Doornfontein, in 1903 and the school was to occupy a further two rented properties in St Andrew's and St Patrick's Roads, before the present-day site was bought, and Mr (later Sir) Herbert Baker was commissioned to design the buildings.
Saint Ursula's is the original Sir Herbert Baker building, the first building on this site (see the Foundation Stone on the left side of the facade. The original Foundation Stone has been replaced by a new marble one). Known as St Ursula's House (Bears), it provided classrooms as well as dormitories, a dining-room, a sitting-room, and, of course, a kitchen, and all these were occupied by staff and girls, before the building was even completed. .. Read More