Parents should be aware that Roedean is a busy environment, where individuals’ talents and aspirations are nurtured. We are a place where a values-led vision for holistic education is enshrined. In practice this means that every facet of a girl’s development is embraced, and our pupils are expected to participate in a range of co-curricular activities in the sporting and cultural arena. Various compulsory weekend and late-evening activities support our commitment to this holistic education.
Busy girls who are engaged by a full school programme thrive here. Our co-curricular programme functions as part the Discovery Framework, an integral aspect of our status as a Round Square school.
Roedean is a proud member of the Round Square which is a network of over 85 innovative schools in 40 countries across five continents.
Kurt Hahn, who inspired the Round Square philosophy, believed that it was crucial for young people to prepare for life through experiences that would demand courage, generosity of spirit, imagination, principle and resolution.
All Round Square activities are, therefore, not about simply “doing” activities, but rather about discovering that “There is more within each one of us than we think–more courage, more strength, and more compassion.” Kurt Hahn
Exploring the Discovery Framework:
A large number of co-curricular school activities are offered, structured around the six IDEALS or pillars that are central to the philosophy of Round Square schools: Clicking on the bold word below should link with the activities described.
Click on each of the bold IDEALS below to learn more about the co-curricular opportunities available.
- Internationalism – Rotary Interact Club, pupil Exchanges with overseas schools
- Democracy – Model United Nations, Public Speaking and Debate
- Environmentalism – REC (Roedean Environmental Committee), Siyakhana Food Garden, and Eco-School Accreditation
- Adventure – Presidents Award (Duke of Edinburgh International Award)
- Leadership – Prefects, Sacristans, Student Representatives Council, Sports and Cultural leaders
- Service – A broad variety of Social Responsibility interactions with NGOs and partner organisations