Roedean School (SA): Academic Scholarship
- Pupils who would like to be considered for the academic scholarship will have to attend the Roedean School (SA) Open Days on 12 or 13 February, 2019. The Open Days will include an entrance examination and based on the review of these results, a percentage of the top achievers will be contacted, via email, and invited to write the scholarship exam on 7 March, 2019. Only those pupils contacted directly by the school will be eligible to write the exam. Applications for the open days will close on 31 January and admission forms can be found on our website.
- There are 3 academic scholarships on offer: The Anne Cleaver, The Ella la Maitre, and The Joan Raikes Scholarships. Details, and the criteria relating to each scholarship, are attached. The awards are subject to excellent reports on work and conduct.
- Awards will not be made unless the standard of work in the examination is considered high enough to justify them.
- The standard of papers set will be that expected of outstanding scholars in Grade 7.
- The examination will consist of:
- A paper in English incorporating comprehension, creative writing, general knowledge, general skills, and interpretation of facts and data.
- A paper in Mathematics.
- NB:There is no set syllabus used for any of the above – the student’s general level of ability will be tested.
- Papers will be written at Roedean School (SA) on Thursday, 7 March, 2019. If a pupil, living a very long distance from Roedean (not based in Johannesburg or surrounding area), is invited to write the scholarship exam, special permission may be granted for them to write at their home schools. Requests to write offsite, must be submitted by the Principal of the school, at least a week before the examination. Provision will not be made for the examination to be written on an alternative day.
- The financial position of the parents is not a criterion.
- The decisions of the Bursary & Scholarship Committee in awarding the scholarships will be final and no correspondence will be entered into in this regard.
- Mrs Rogers, the Acting Executive Head, will notify the winners telephonically on 29 March, 2019. Following a verbal offer, a written offer will be sent whereby confirmation is required, acknowledging receipt and acceptance of the award. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the results of the scholarship examination. The scholarships will commence at the beginning of 2020.
- In making an application, a detailed Grade 6 report will be required. In addition, any talent displayed by the candidate in the fields of music, dramatic arts, visual arts, and/or sport should be mentioned. Roedean reserves the right to request a letter of recommendation from the head of the school currently attended by the candidate.
- Unsuccessful candidates are not under any obligation whatsoever to attend Roedean School (SA).
For additional information, please contact:
011 647 3221 or email@example.com
Download Scholarship Packs for 2020
Roedean School 2020 Scholarship Winners
We are delighted to announce the 2020 Scholarship Winners:
Ella la Maitre
(Unicorn Preparatory School)
Cultural Exhibition Scholarship: Music
Mrs Fiona Rogers,
Roedean School Bursaries
Parents will be expected to contribute financially by paying fees they pay at their daughter’s current institution and the remainder of the balance will augmented by the Roedean Trust