The first part of the Junior School (the building adjacent to the swimming-pool) was built in 1918. The building consisted of a dining-room, open on the north side to a terrace, and, above this, a large dormitory, also open to the north â€“ but here a concession was made to cold winters â€“ for, on the open west side, canvas blinds could be drawn down.
Parents appear to have felt no qualms about the amount of air, since the dormitory soon housed over 30 boarders! One of them writes of karosses of hyrax or dassie skins, under which the juniors snuggled for warmth.
The West Wing (overlooking the circle) was built later, and, in 1930, General Smuts, who was Guest of Honour on Speech Day, opened the new wing. In 1953, the final phase of building brought into being the south wing (bordering on Carse Oâ€™Gowrie). In the year of Roedeanâ€™s 50th birthday, the Jubilee Fund was launched and the building became known as the Jubilee Wing.
Again, changing functional needs have dictated internal alterations, but the original exterior remains. Not visible from within the Junior School courtyard is a mosaic of St Margaret, the patron saint of children, by Professor Baldinelli. It can,, however be seen on the eastern facade, as one drives down Carse Oâ€™Gowrie.