The objects of the PTA’s are to:
– Support and further the interests and welfare of Roedean, and of its staff and girls;
– Foster a spirit of community amongst the parents, teachers and girls of the Roedean; and
– Provide a channel of communication between the parents of girls in Roedean and the school.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee of the Roedean PTA is constituted as a standing committee of the Board of Directors of Roedean. It consists of 15 to 25 parents, collectively elected from the Junior and Senior l, the Executive Head Mr Murray Thomas, the head of the Junior School Ms. Gillian Boltman, and a representative of SAORA (the South African Old Roedeanian Association). One member of the committee has a seat on the Roedean Board.
The Chairperson is responsible for facilitating of all activities under the PTA banner. This role aligns with Roedean community to ensure the PTA adds value to all areas of Roedean school community Jackie also manages the MySchool Card portfolio.
The Vice-Chairperson is Nausheen Ameen who supports the Chairperson where needed and oversees the Annual Mom’s and Daughters Luncheon event.
The Secretary, Alta Ranwell runs the PTA admin.
Cornel Muller, the Treasurer ensures that PTA money is managed in accordance with all relevant governing principles.
The Social Community Building Portfolio
One of the PTA’s objectives is to build the community of Roedean by creating opportunities for all the people who form part of the Roedean Community to interact and to socialise.
The events that are currently being managed under this portfolio includes:
– Cocktail Parties
– AGM Catering
This portfolio is headed by Yolanda Duxbury with the team:
– Xoli Motshohi
– Adrian Steven
– Lala Tuku
– Yumna Sono
The Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Portfolio
The PTA supports social responsibility projects/initiatives in the Junior- and Senior school, working closely with the broader community to make a meaningful contribution. Examples of these initiatives include:
– Supporting the 2016 and 2017 Senior School Phedisang health initiative
– Junior School 2016 School SleepOutTM
This portfolio is managed by Nombuso Ramokgopa, Sumayya Ebrahim and Sarah Mbundu.
Sumayya also manages the PTA involvement at the Annual Music Picnic.
Birgit Bothner represents the PTA on the Roedean Board.
|Senior School Books:
Natalie Horton manages the senior school textbook drive which is a major PTA fundraising initiative, as well as the Project Club.
Paula Morley manages Textbook orders and sales as well as Senior School Stationery orders and the Sport Teas. .
Parveen Adulla co-ordinates the supply and sales of stationery & art packs to the Junior School Parveen is also responsible for the Jnr School Coffee Mornings
Martinette Kritzinger organises the recruitment and management of the volunteer mums, who help to assist the PTA with all their activities and functions. at the school where assistance is needed. Martinette also arranges the Parent Teas.
Lucy Montague supports the PTA with all information system related deliverables such as the Roedean App, Website, and textbook program.
At the start of the academic year Roedean welcomes new learners and their parents to our community. Karina van Heerden heads up the drive to contact each new family to the Roedean community.
Special projects form a large part of what the PTA do. Gerhard Kemp is responsible to undertake these projects to successfully deliver a complete project e.g. Auditorium Sound Upgrade project
|Karina van Heerden
JOINING THE PTA COMMITTEE
Every Parent is a member of the PTA and eligible for election to the Executive Committee of the PTA. Nomination forms go out annually in the first term of school. New committee members are elected at the PTA’s AGM held annually in the first term of school, usually in March. All parents and staff receive written notice of this meeting and are invited to attend.
OUR INCOME STREAMS
The projects/initiatives undertaken by the PTA are categorised into the following programs:
Facilities Upgrade Program:
School fees pay for education and it’s up to parents and other stakeholders of Roedean to assist the school in renewing and upgrading the school facilities, to ensure that they are in keeping with the demands of school life. The PTA Executive Committee identifies the out-of-budget improvements required in any financial year. Improvements made in the recent past include –
– The installation of the shade ports at the netball courts
– The installation of the sound system in the Founders Hall
– The refurbishment of the Grade 0 reading room;
– Mathematics Excellence in the Senior School;
– The installation of air conditioning units in the Rene and Fred England Centre for Maths
– The refurbishment of the auditorium;
– The installation of updated Honours Boards at Pavilion;
– The refurbishment of locker rooms in the Senior School;
– The installation of the swimming pool heating system and change rooms, at the Jan Mallen Learn-to-Swim Pool;
– The installation of sun cover over seating at pool;
– The installation of new score board at pool;
– The installation of floodlights for the Astroturf hockey field;
– The installation of floodlights at the swimming pool;
– The installation of the heating system at the swimming pool;
Social Responsibility Community Service Program:
From time to time, the PTA supports social responsibility projects/initiatives in the Junior and Senior schools, working closely with all stakeholders to make a meaningful contribution to the broader community. Examples of such initiatives include:
– Supporting the 2016 and 2017 Senior School women’s health initiative in collaboration with Phedisang;
– Supplying the ingredients for Mandela Day Soup Kitchen – 2017
– Collaborating with the Junior School for the 2016 School SleepOutTM
– Arranging a party for the Everest Primary School to celebrate the 2016 Mandela Day;
– Supporting the implementation of a chosen 2016 Grade 10 social responsibility project.
The PTA will be identifying new projects in September 2017 to become involved in. We will keep you updated.
Roedean Community Building Program
The PTA invites the entire Roedean community to get together and connect at our various community events, such as our Mothers’ and Daughters’ lunch and our annual cocktail party, held to build an overall sense of togetherness and belonging. During 2017 we had the Roedean Carnival which was both a community building project as well as a fund raiser.
Fund Raising Program
In support of the PTA objectives we organise annual fundraising events such as the 2016 Casino Royale, the 2014 Day at the Races and numerous prior Golf Days. Other ongoing fundraising initiatives include: